Delaware SB184 requires many employers working on prevailing wage projects meet Craft Training requirements. Payments to the Apprenticeship and Training Fund is one to meet this obligation. Find out more at the Delaware One Stop. More Info logo

Delaware Department of Labor Logo

Delaware Department of Labor

Delaware Income Tax 1099G Information

Disclaimer: These FAQs are subject to change based on new information. Additionally, due to modifications of the UI program as a result of COVID-19 responses, many of the FAQs have modified answers. Please check back frequently. This website is not intended as legal advice. Any responses to specific questions are based on the facts as we understand them and the law that was current when the responses were written. They are not intended to apply to any other situations. This communication is not an agency order. If you need legal advice, you must consult an attorney.

Form 1099-G, Statement for Recipients of Certain Government Payments, is issued to any individual who received Delaware Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits for the prior calendar year. The 1099-G reflects Delaware’s UI benefit payment amounts that were issued within that calendar year. This may be different from the week of unemployment for which the benefits were paid.

1099-Gs were required by law to be mailed by January 31st for the prior calendar year. The Division has mailed the 1099-Gs for Calendar Year 2020.

1099-Gs were mailed during the week of January 25th. 1099-Gs are only issued to the individual to whom benefits were paid. If you have moved since filing for UI benefits, your 1099-G will NOT be forwarded by the United States Postal Service.

The Delaware Division of Unemployment Insurance cannot update your mailing address for this 1099 cycle. We will be processing reprints after 2/21/2021. You must update your mailing address for 1099 purposes by submitting a request referencing your 1099 and providing your new address using this link; Submit a 1099 Concern. Given the volume, please allow us some time to process reprints due to address updates.”

Delivery of 1099-G

Can the 1099-G form be emailed to me or made available to me online?

No, the 1099-G form cannot be delivered electronically at this time.

Can I pick-up the 1099-G form from one of the local offices of the Delaware Department of Labor?

No, the local offices of the Delaware Department of Labor are currently closed to the public due to COVID-19.

What should I do if I did not receive a 1099-G for the most recent or past years?

Submit a 1099 Concern.

How do I obtain a duplicate copy of a 1099-G?

Because of reported delays with mail delivery, requests for reprints will not be accepted until February 22, 2021. After February 22nd, you may request a duplicate copy of your 1099-G form by use the link that appears on the Unemployment division’s 1099 Information Page, provided for you here Submit a 1099 Concern. A duplicate will be mailed to the address on file. Please allow 2-3 weeks to receive the duplicate.

Tax Reporting Requirements Associated with Form 1099-G

Do I need the 1099-G form to file my taxes?

Yes, you need the 1099-G form in order to complete and file your taxes.

Does UI benefit information need to be reported for Federal and State income taxes?

Yes, the Tax Reform Act of 1986 mandated that unemployment insurance benefits are taxable, and that any unemployment compensation received during the year must be reported on your federal tax return.

​ How will unemployment compensation affect my tax return?

​If you do not have taxes withheld from your unemployment compensation, it could result in a tax liability.

Where do I find the Payer’s Federal Identification number?

You will find the federal identification number for the Delaware Department of Labor under the Payer’s name and address on the 1099-G form, immediately following the label “FED EI#:”.

Do I use the same Payer’s Identification number for Federal and State tax forms?


What if I receive a Form UC-1099G after I have filed my federal income tax return with the IRS?

Questions concerning any adjustments that need to be made on your federal income tax return should be directed to the IRS at 800-829-1040.

Can I have federal income tax withheld from my unemployment compensation?

Yes, you may choose to have federal income tax withheld from your unemployment insurance benefit payments at the rate of 10 percent. The amount of withholding is calculated using the payment amount, after being adjusted for earnings (in any).  Please contact us at UICLAIMS@DELAWARE.GOV to verify and/or change your federal withholding status.  Please note that you may change your federal withholding rate only once per calendar year.

Questions on Information in Form 1099-G

If I have questions concerning information on my 1099G, how do I contact someone within the Delaware Division of Unemployment Insurance?

If you have a concern about the 1099G that you received regarding the income from Unemployment Insurance or one of the CARES Act programs, please review the questions and answers above first.  Perhaps we have already answered your question above.  If not, please follow this link >  Submit a 1099 Concern

What if I receive a Form UC-1099G with an incorrect amount in “Total Payment” or “Tax Withheld” areas of the form?

For income tax purposes, UC benefits and PUA benefits are reported in the calendar year in which they are paid, regardless of when the application or claim for benefits was filed.

 If you believe the “Total Payment” or “Tax Withheld” on Form UC-1099G is incorrect, please use the link that appears on the Unemployment division’s 1099 Information Page, provided for you here Submit a 1099 Concern.  All payments made to you and amounts withheld will be recalculated and compared to the amount on your Form UC-1099G. If the amount is incorrect, an amended Form UC-1099G will be issued.

Questions on Impact of Unemployment Compensation Benefits, including Repayment and Overpayment, on your Form 1099-G

How will I know how much unemployment compensation I received? 

If you received unemployment compensation or PUA during the year, you should receive Form 1099-G from the Delaware Division of Unemployment Insurance.  The form will indicate the total amount of benefits received and the amount of federal taxes withheld. You will need to add the payment that is noted in the 1099-G form when preparing and reporting your income taxes to the Internal Revenue Service

If I repaid benefits that I had received, will I receive a 1099-G?

If you received UI benefits in the same year during which you repaid an overpayment of benefits, you will receive a 1099-G for that year. If you only repaid benefits received from prior benefit years, you will not receive a 1099-G.

What if I received an overpayment of benefits in one year and I repaid any of it in the same or subsequent calendar year?

 Note: The “total payment” section on your 1099-G form includes all benefits paid to you during the calendar year, including benefits that were applied to an overpayment.

For more information on how to report your repayment of UC benefits on your tax return, see Unemployment Benefits and Repayments in IRS Pub. 525 or contact the IRS directly at 800-829-1040.

If I am no longer collecting unemployment benefits, how can I pay the tax due?

You can make estimated tax payments at and/or increase your withholding once you have a new job. You can check your estimated withholding using the calculator at See for more payment options.

If Fraud or Identity Theft Suspected Regarding Your Benefits and/or Form 1099-G

Will I receive a 1099G if I was a victim of identity theft?

 It is the Department’s goal to prevent any income that you did not receive or file for from being reported under your SSN. We are working diligently to process returned payments, debit cards, checks; return a significant number of fraud calls; and investigate identity theft complaints.

If you were a victim and payments were issued to you, but you returned the UC debit card, checks, or direct deposits that you received, you should NOT receive a 1099G. However, if you DO receive a 1099G and believe you shouldn’t have because you’ve returned the funds and submitted an identity theft complaint, we ask for your patience while we work through our increased workload due to the pandemic.

If you were a victim of identity theft but no benefits were paid on the claim, you should NOT receive a 1099G. If a claim was opened and paid using your information and you did not receive the funds and therefore were unable to return them to the department, you should email the Delaware Division of Unemployment Insurance at to to file an identity theft complaint. Upon completion of the investigation, if it is found that you were a true victim of identity theft, a revised 1099G will be issued to you.

What do I do if I believe someone else filed and received UC benefit payments under my name or SSN without my permission?

  1. File a police report with the municipality you resided in at the time of the unemployment benefits in question were paid.  A copy of the police report must be provided to the Office of Unemployment Compensation.
  2. Then you should email the Delaware Division of Unemployment Insurance at to to file an identity theft complaint.
  3. If you are a victim of identity theft you should also report it to the Federal Trade Commission and start a recovery plan at

Related Topics:  , , ,